What is Electronic Reverse Engineering?
It is the process of disassembling + analyzing a physical product for the purpose of generating documentation and/or re-manufacture as well as determining how it was designed and how it operates. Often the documentation even allows a customer to improve their product to surpass competitors.
What reverse engineering services can we offer you?
ENA Electronics are the number one for electronic reverse engineering in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, and with over 30 years of engineering experience our team are up to any job, we specialize in Reverse Engineering of Electronic Hardware. We can help you by reverse engineering + remanufacturing obsolete + unsupported electronic circuit boards + card assemblies. Electronic hardware reverse engineering is the process of determining in our laboratory how an item was designed + how it operates in order to reproduce it first from the printed circuit board to the schematic. We can not only repair your PCB but we can copy or clone your printed circuit board (assuming it is no longer supported by the OEM, PCB to Schematic + ensuring the legality of reverse engineering the product) or even upgrade your hardware, it making sure that the replacement unit is a replica in form, fit and function. Before we start work we make sure to investigate + evaluate the product to be sure that no intellectual property rights are breached.ENA Electronics is committed to providing the best customer support in the PCB Clone + PCB Copy industry, we want you to use ENA Electronics when you think about reverse engineering a pcb.
See our reverse engineering projects page to see some of our past projects.
Click here to Download the Reverse Engineering Fact Sheet Form. in order to get started with reverse engineering a printed circuit board.
1. Obsolete PCB.
In order to reverse engineer a schematic from circuit board we first take your obsolete PCB. We carefully document the circuit board, with photos + schematics then start a BOM (Bill of Materials).
Next we take the PCB + carefully depopulate the components from the PCB. We then clean the board + digitize it for reference.
3. PCB to Schematic.
The PCB is made into a schematic by tracing signals across the board, any extra features are added (if required) + the layout is made. So that your board fits form + function.
4. Convert Schematic to PCB.
The schematic is converted into a PCB being sure to replicate the original design. The Design files are checked + tested then exported to Gerber format for a final check before production.
5. PCB Fabrication.
The Gerber files are sent off for production. Meanwhile components are sourced + recieved ready for population.
6. Component Population.
The PCB is then populated with components, soldered + cleaned.
We then fully test the circuit according to the customers specification. If needed we make test rigs to ensure that the reverse engineered PCB is the same as the original in fit, form + function.
8. Original + New PCB.
The old PCB is now reassembled, and both are delivered back to you. We keep any spare components and all of the designs in case you want to order more in the future.
Our PCB Reverse Engineering Process
There are three main areas to our PCB Reverse Engineering Services, these are namely: PCB Copy, PCB Clone + PCB Upgrade:
PCB Copy + PCB Clone
Assuming the board is obsolete and no longer supported by the manufacturer (OEM) we can make a direct copy of your electronic circuit board. The advantage of this process is that the finished board is identical to the original in form, fit + function.
Reverse Engineering Upgrades
Depending on your needs we can take your original PCB and not only pcb copy + pcb clone it (assuming it is unsupported by the OEM) we can add extra functionality such as extra inputs and outputs or a different control system. The sky is the limit! We can even miniturize your original circuit from through hole board parts to SMD (Surface Mount Device) parts.
Sometimes it makes sense to re-design your system completely, for instance if the circuit board is supported by the OEM. We can engineer your product from the ground up ensuring that you get a custom electronic product for your application.
Schematic Capture + Board Design
We capture the schematic and design the circuit board layout in house making sure you have full control of your final product. If you need extra features or something changing then support is just one call away. We can even Reverse Engineer multi layer PCBs in order to determine how the innner traces are routed, we do this using an X-RAY machine.
Programming obsolete ICs
Lost the code for your obsolete IC? Not to worry assuming that no itellectual rights are breeched then we can often extract the original firmware from your old working board. Often software + firmware can be observed to observe how it functions. For instance the operation of a microprocessor or FPGA/PLD can sometimes be seen by observing the inputs and outputs, at other times though we have to download the assembly code from the chip and decode it manually. If we can't do any of that then we have the skills and talent to re-design your firmware making sure it it has the same functionality as the original product.
Electronic 3D CAD
Do you have a physical restraint or in need of your PCB to fit a certain dimension? Using our 3D CAD package we can expertly make sure that you not only get the right dimension but your circuit will look great in your product. If you need a particular mechanical clip or bracket making then we can design and make that to using our Prototyping service.
Why Use Our PCB Reverse Engineering Service?
Our Reverse Engineering Services are designed + developed in accordance with what you want and need. These services are widely appreciated by our clients for their timely execution and genuine prices.
- All manufactured cards + boards are plug-and-play!
- Manufactured items are frequently smaller + more efficient — saving you space, time, + costs.
- All reverse engineering projects use only modern + current components making any future repairs they may need easier + cost effective.
- Manufactured units extend the life of your existing machines.
- Most units are upgradeable — we can add functionality, outputs, sensors, or change programs slightly to broaden your processing capability and to improve operations, maintenance + support issues on older circuit Boards
- All manufactured units come with the same one year or 15 month warranty as our electronic + servo repairs!
- Obsolete products that are used in critical applications where the artwork no longer exists or the schematic diagrams are unavailable. ENA generates the net list from the physical PCB and then makes a Schematic Drawing + PCB Layout
- Products that need to be Re-designed for RoHS/ WEEE compliance
- Migration from through hole parts to SMD (Surface Mount Device) parts
- Migration to emerging technologies while retaining the core features and logic of existing systems
- Determine Patent infringement claims
- Determine if competition has copied a product
- Discover product strengths, weaknesses and limitations
- To understand competitor's products and develop alternatives
- Manufacturer of a product no longer exists or produces a product
- Manufacturer of a product no longer supports/services a product
- Documentation of the original design is lost or inadequate
- To update obsolete components with current technology
- Reveal inner-workings of products
- Determine product interoperability
- Create better designs
- Benchmark analysis
Download the Reverse Engineering Fact Sheet Form.